Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 S600 Problem started with MAF change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 01:01 AM

Received 316 Likes on 221 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
2001 S600 Problem started with MAF change

Well, not exactly, but it's a lot worse.

First of all; the car has 58K on the odometer. I just bought it three weeks ago, so I don't know it's service history. And the number on the coil packs begins with 275.

I had been getting an intermitten "Check Engine" light for a little over a week. I had a mechanic read the code and he found P0170 & P0173. He cleared it manually once, but it came back. It also went out by itself a couple of times over the last couple of weeks.

We decided it's a MAF sensor problem, so I bought one off ebay and put it in last night. This morning, when I drove the car it acted very strangely. The check engine light was still on. Then, as I'm driving around a bend in the road the car starts to rock from side to side. It was like I was in some lowrider car show. The car went from side to side, and made it feels like the road had bumps and ruts where it didn't. It calmed down, but I also noticed it wasn't quite as smooth as before, but not bad.

I got on the highway: big mistake!! The car sputtered and misfired as it failed to accelerate properly. It also rocked several times again, but stopped rocking after the first 1/4 mile on the freeway. It felt like it was driving smoothly at highway speeds, but without the type of power the car has.

The check engine light went out after a short time driving. I got prematurely happy. I went to pass another car at highway speeds; the car sputtered again and the check engine light came abck on. Now it has three codes. P0170 & P0173, and one that says Cylinder #7 misfire.

Everything is buttoned up correctly on the car. The two things I did incorrectly were to have the key in the ignition while working on the car, as I was listening to the radio. Secondly, I didn't clear the codes after installing the new MAF.

Can anyone offer help or guidance on this. The suspension seems to have corrected itself, and the car handles properly once again. My concern in the code for Cylinder #7 and the lack of power, sputtering, and any other problems that may occur because of this. I'm leaning toward taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I might take it to an independent shop in Auburn, WA. If anyone knows a quick fix for this PLEASE let me know. Or if you can suggest a shop South of Seattle, that would be of great help too. Sorry for the long post.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
First I would get a new mechanic that knows what he is doing and has the correct equipment to diagnose. Second, I would purchase a new correct MAF from a dealer not some scammer on E Bay. After that I would have the new mechanic hook up the STAR system to your vehicle and correctly diagnose any problems.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Ebay is NOT a credible source for Mercedes parts.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
abc issue..

You my friend may be experiencing the old ABC suspension issue w/ the S class.. Read the Safety Recall Bulletin below..

---
Make : MERCEDES BENZ Model : S-600 Year : 2001
Manufacturer : MERCEDES-BENZ USA, LLC.
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V228000 Mfr's Report Date : MAY 04, 2004
Component: SUSPENSION
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 6238
Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, CORROSION MAY OCCUR IN THE INNER STEEL PORTIONS OF THE ACTIVE BODY CONTROL¿S (ABC) HIGH-PRESSURE DISTRIBUTION HOSE DUE TO EXTENSIVE EXPOSURE TO HEAT AND HUMIDITY. OVER TIME, CORROSION MAY DETERIORATE THE INNER STEEL PORTIONS OF THE HOSE.
Consequence:
THIS MAY RESULT IN ABC HYDRAULIC FLUID LEAKAGE. UNDER SOME CIRCUMSTANCES, LEAKING HYDRAULIC FLUID MAY COME IN CONTACT WITH HOT ENGINE COMPONENTS AND LEAD TO A POSSIBILITY OF FIRE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL NEW, CORROSION RESISTANT ABC HIGH-PRESSURE DISTRIBUTION HOSES. THE RECALL BEGAN AUGUST 31, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT MERCEDES-BENZ AT 1-800-367-6372.
Notes:
MERCEDES-BENZ RECALL NO. 2004070012. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
Old 09-21-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 316 Likes on 221 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by sosh
First I would get a new mechanic that knows what he is doing and has the correct equipment to diagnose. Second, I would purchase a new correct MAF from a dealer not some scammer on E Bay. After that I would have the new mechanic hook up the STAR system to your vehicle and correctly diagnose any problems.
Done...You're right. BAD EBAY MAF!!!

djamer: Problems went away and haven't returned since. Car runs great! Thanks for the info.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 c36
yea, by coincidence, your suspension and airmass had problems at the same time. get the recall done and that will correct your suspension problems. as far as your airmass goes, those are definately common symptoms of a bad airmass. hopefully everything will be fine since you changed it. good luck
Old 10-17-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 s600
I had the same problem and after month with my car in a friends shop...They changed my throttle body....no check engine light and the car is now responsive on the road