Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turned on rear defroster and window shattered has this ever happened to anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLK 500
Question Turned on rear defroster and window shattered has this ever happened to anyone?

I have a 03 CLK 500 with tinted windows I went to turn on the rear defroster to move the car, it was on for just a minute and I stopped the car and got out. I was walking away and could hear a glass cracking sound. I went up to the rear window and saw a inch long "pucker" on the top left of the rear window. Just a second later the whole thing shattered I touched the window and it was VERY VERY HOT. I am replacing the window do you guys think that will fix the problem or might it be something else?
Old 10-03-2007, 10:18 PM

96 c36
i know exactly what this is. it happend to one of the techs at our shop before. when you got your windows tinted, was there any reason for them to disconnect any wires? a guy at the shop was doing some rear hatch work on a 163 and he hooked up the defroster wires backwords. shortly after, the window shattered. you might want to find a wiring diagram and be sure your rear defrost wires are connected correctly.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:21 AM

2007 CLK 500
Thanks, that sure seems like that would have caused it. The windows were tinted when I got the car and I don't think I have ever used the defroster until then. But that makes total sense. Does anyone know what to look for so I can make sure the glass installer does it right when he comes out in the next couple days?