Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 E500 Wagon tailgate - only opens to horizontal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
2004 E500 Wagon tailgate - only opens to horizontal

About a week ago my tailgate began stopping at the horizontal position. Aha, I thought, I've read about that feature in the settings menu. So, I printed the relevant pages from the manual and tried to sort this out last night. I followed the instructions through to the Vehicle Submenu, but I cannot find the Limit Tailgate Opening options. I do see the Automatic Door Lock option, which is under the same menu. But when I press the up or down arrow, I seem to go back to Settings again.

Any idea's?

BTW, the tailgate is being stopped by something on the drivers side hinge.

Thanks in advance for any idea's or assistance.
Jim
Old 11-04-2007, 01:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09 E350 ,
sound's like a TLC control module is losing memory ,it will have to be resyncronized at the dealer ,i think you close it manually and then hold the up switch in the driver door for more than 5 seconds ,when it stops halfway ,it is for garage door clearence ,try that ,if not the dealer should have drive techs to anylize it with a sds machine to tell you it has fault codes then you will have to get a control module ,hopefully you have original warranty ,if not starmark or elw will cover it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 11-04-2007, 10:04 AM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Originally Posted by tcesario
sound's like a TLC control module is losing memory ,it will have to be resyncronized at the dealer ,i think you close it manually and then hold the up switch in the driver door for more than 5 seconds ,when it stops halfway ,it is for garage door clearence ,try that ,if not the dealer should have drive techs to anylize it with a sds machine to tell you it has fault codes then you will have to get a control module ,hopefully you have original warranty ,if not starmark or elw will cover it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Thanks for this. But my tailgate is not powered. I don't have a drivers door switch or a Smart Key button. It's just manual opening. I tried to find that Vehicle Menu again yesterday. I def, can't find the Tailgate Limiter option. Maybe it is bad software of some kind. I was thinking of calling my Indy (Jay, you reading this dude?) and see if he wants to take a look.

Thanks again, jim
Old 11-28-2007, 02:17 AM

ML 350
Originally Posted by jallison12
Thanks for this. But my tailgate is not powered. I don't have a drivers door switch or a Smart Key button. It's just manual opening. I tried to find that Vehicle Menu again yesterday. I def, can't find the Tailgate Limiter option. Maybe it is bad software of some kind. I was thinking of calling my Indy (Jay, you reading this dude?) and see if he wants to take a look.

Thanks again, jim
IF YOUR TRUNK IS NOT POWER THEN YOU DO NOT HAVE THE TRUNK LIMITER. THOUGH YOUR TAILGATE SHOCK WHICH ISIN THE TOP LEFT REAR OF YOUR HEADLINER MAYBE LEAKING ,THATS WHY IT WONT GO UP ALL THE WAY
Old 11-28-2007, 06:35 PM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Originally Posted by BENZO1
IF YOUR TRUNK IS NOT POWER THEN YOU DO NOT HAVE THE TRUNK LIMITER. THOUGH YOUR TAILGATE SHOCK WHICH ISIN THE TOP LEFT REAR OF YOUR HEADLINER MAYBE LEAKING ,THATS WHY IT WONT GO UP ALL THE WAY
Hey, thanks much! I will check on this.