Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CLS 55 transmission question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS55 - SOLD
CLS 55 transmission question

I have a lag ( much like a shift in a regular car ) when my CLS 55 shifts from 1st - 2nd and 2nd - 3rd etc. I expected a quicker more positive shift from one gear to the next. I have read on this forum of other 55 and 63 AMG cars spinning or chirping the tires shifting into 2nd gear but my car does not come close. At my last scheduled service I asked the MB tach about this. His response was these cars have too much power and a hard shift could rip the drive shaft off the car, I wasn't impressed with his answer. If anyone could shed some light on this I would appreciate it.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls 55 amg, clk 320
i have had similar problems with my car as well, the transmission tends to delay to the next gear, and sometimes i look at the rpm and its in the red. however after extensivly looking into the matter i was told that that is normal.

honestly, it seems akward, the only thing that you can do is try to make the shifts smoother.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:58 AM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
2004 CLK55
Are you guys shifting manually? There is a timing retard inbetween shifts with all AMG engines. This is ness to protect the transmission from the engine torque. MB 55 engines have more torque than just about any other manufacturer out there and ALL manufacturers do this to protect their automatic transmissions. That said, your transmission control module does "learn" to your driving style. If you drive hard on a regular basis, your car will start to shift harded and faster. To get the hardest shifts out of your car, do not put it in "M" mode. Leave the transmissioin in "S" mode and bump the shifter to put it in auto stick mode in "1" and don't touch it again. Drive hard and it'll shift at redline.