Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 SL55 AMG Stalling and Other Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL55, 2003 M3, 2007 F150 FX4, 2002 Land Cruiser
04 SL55 AMG Stalling and Other Issues

Twice today in slowing from freeway speeds, my car died. Once I came to a stop, the car started again after cycling the key through (full off to start). I just got the car last week (and thought it was a great deal). It is a CPO that is still under warranty, so I'm taking it back to the dealer. The check engine light came on yesterday and the service advisor advised that I wait a couple of days to see if it would clear itself. I have also noticed that the idle is very erratic cycling from 1100 to 1800 when in park. Is this normal? In stop and go traffic, the car also bucks and jumps, like a muscle car with a hot cam. Is this normal? Finally, there is also a rattling or grinding sound that comes from the left front that is apparent when creeping along just off idle. Normal? (The things you don't notice during a test drive.)

While I am hopeful that these issues will be addressed under the CPO warranty, I am concerned that these problems have arisen in less than a week of ownership. This is my first M-B and I've shied away from the marque in part because of the reported problems with the E-class and ML. My BMWs, including 2 M cars, one of which I still own, I have been very reliable and their motors are incredibly smooth throughout the rev range as a result of the double VANOS cams. Should I expect the same type of smoothness from the 5.3 AMG motor?

Thank you,
Old 11-07-2007, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Robert B
Twice today in slowing from freeway speeds, my car died. Once I came to a stop, the car started again after cycling the key through (full off to start). I just got the car last week (and thought it was a great deal). It is a CPO that is still under warranty, so I'm taking it back to the dealer. The check engine light came on yesterday and the service advisor advised that I wait a couple of days to see if it would clear itself. I have also noticed that the idle is very erratic cycling from 1100 to 1800 when in park. Is this normal? In stop and go traffic, the car also bucks and jumps, like a muscle car with a hot cam. Is this normal? Finally, there is also a rattling or grinding sound that comes from the left front that is apparent when creeping along just off idle. Normal? (The things you don't notice during a test drive.)

While I am hopeful that these issues will be addressed under the CPO warranty, I am concerned that these problems have arisen in less than a week of ownership. This is my first M-B and I've shied away from the marque in part because of the reported problems with the E-class and ML. My BMWs, including 2 M cars, one of which I still own, I have been very reliable and their motors are incredibly smooth throughout the rev range as a result of the double VANOS cams. Should I expect the same type of smoothness from the 5.3 AMG motor?

Thank you,
Something is wrong, and you should let the dealer look into it. The engine should have a rock-solid idle, should never stall and should be at least as smooth as you're used to. And the thottle response should be perfectly progressive and stable. You are describing an engine with a problem and you should not be waiting for CEL to "fix itself." Tell the service manager that your first impression of the SA is not a good one.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 55 AMG
I would certainly not let a check engine light clear itself. I'd take it to the dealership.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:35 AM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
2004 CLK55
It sounds like your throttle actuator or there is a major intake leak in the engine. There is a service bullitin for the throttle actuator, but it's engine number specific. I would suggest to ask to be personally introduced to the technician that is performing the work on your vehicle. Also, whenever your check engine light comes on I would take it to the dealer, unless you forget to put your gas cap on.