Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dilemma with the ABS and BAS lights...now wont shift out of PARK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E430 Sedan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my wife drives this 02 E430, which has been an all around fantastic automobile. We only have 48k miles on the car.

About 1 month ago she told me that the ABS and BAS lights came on. We called the dealer and they instructed us on how to reset. She has now reset these lights 3 times in the last month. Clearly something wrong and I guess we should prepare to spend some money..

Yesterday, on her drive home, the lights once again came on. Except this time after she parked in the garage the car will no longer shift out of park. The dealer advised me how to manually get it out of park, however, the computer will not allow it to drive in any gear above 2nd.

I've read the threads on this topic and done the brake lamp sensor. Light didnt come after holding the break and it still wont shift out of park until I do the manual procedure (involving a ball point pen near the shifter). So not sure if I should even mess with replacing the Brake Lamp Sensor?

Anyone ever had this problem or can give me an idea for the hurting that the repair shop is going to put on me to solve?

Any knowledgeable experience with this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Doug
Old 11-20-2007, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500 and ML55
sounds like it may be the brake pedal "relay switch" under the dash. - which also controls the brake lamps. I had the same problem on the wifes ML.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E430 Sedan
Well...45 minutes in the shop, a reset/reformatted computer, a new $13 Brake Lamp Sensor, and an invoice for $147.50.

While I'm kicking myself for not just getting the part and doing myself, but I dont even have time to eat lunch let alone screw with this. Guess things could be worse.

Conclusion - if your ABS/BAS lights are on and the shifter wont come out of Park...it is your Brake Sensor Lamp.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 133 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by Dtoomay
Well...45 minutes in the shop, a reset/reformatted computer, a new $13 Brake Lamp Sensor, and an invoice for $147.50. .
Only $147.50....consider yourself lucky. You sound like me - I hate having people work on my car when I know I can do it myself. But for that amount of money it's worth it just for the time involved.