Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly-V-Belt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG,
Poly-V-Belt

So I'm driving my 2004 C32 home today in this beautiful southern california weather (joke - it's raining cats and dogs). As I take the Ventura blvd exit off of the 101 I notice quite a big reservoir of water. I try to get around it as best I can, but still have to go through some pretty deep water.

After passing through it my gagues gave me the BATTERY/ALTERNATOR VISIT WORKSHOP! error message.

Power steering wouldn't work but I managed to drive it the 1/4 mile home.

After arriving home and letting it run for a good 15 minutes after the incident, I noticed that the poly-v-belt was not attached. It appears to be together (not broken). I've also since learned that it activates the cooling system so I'm hopeful that I haven't damaged the engine by letting it run for 10-15 minutes after the incident.

Is it possible that the water caused the belt to slip off? If so, can I simply put it back on as the manual shows?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:12 AM

none
yeah put the belt back on but check the belt condition ...replace it if its never bin changed
Old 01-05-2008, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
[QUOTE=CalMBDriver;2581899]Is it possible that the water caused the belt to slip off? If so, can I simply put it back on as the manual shows?
QUOTE]

Check ALL the pulleys very carefully. The tensioner/idler pulley is a common failure item in the belt system. The pulley on the end of the cranshaft is known to separate from the rubber shock ring. I don't think going through the water had anything to do with it coming off. Consider yourself lucky though.....when the crank pulley separates it usually shreads the belt and takes out some cast covers on the block with it.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:57 PM

C32 AMG,
Thanks all for your advice and suggestions! I love this forum.