Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W208 rollbar stuck in up position - with error light on rocker switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:46 PM
nmk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W164 ML 320
W208 rollbar stuck in up position - with error light on rocker switch

Is it possible to reset the clk cab roll bar on the W208 without going to a dealer?

I think its a computer problem: there is a continuous light on the rollbar switch at startup, which I understand means that the roof control unit believes something is in an error state.

I've taken the rear seats out, but cannot see anything mechanical to press in order to release the rollbar to allow it to go down - the whole thing seems to be solenoid and hydraulic controlled, with no access to the bloke with screwdriver like myself...

Does anyone know if its possible to reset the rollbar control mechanism without going to the dealer? I tried unplugging (and recharging) the battery, but that didnt work.

Dealer wants £58 just to run the electrical tests on it, but more importantly there are no dealers near me anymore as Mercedes in their wisdom have closed them all down.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Nathan
Old 01-27-2008, 03:17 AM

11 ML350
Did you try pressing the roll bar button up for 5 to 10 sec's. This should reset the roll bars. If not you most likey have a leak at the pump.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:58 AM
nmk

W164 ML 320
Yep - tried that.

I think that the system believes there is an error that isn't there : the problem started when something on the back seats was pushed up against the springs for the rollbar: the bar went up ok, but I could hear a clicking noise, which I realise was the item on the back seats sticking through the seat gap, and up against the springs.

I don' think there is a mechanical problem (hopefully) - but I believe that the roof control unit is preventing me from moving them because it decided that there must be a serious problem because the headrests werent able to move as freely as normal.

I think if I can reset the roof controll unit, I will be able to see if the error comes back or if its just a one off. Happy to pay someone to reset it, or buy a device to reset it, but not too happy to drive to the the MB dealers as they closed my local centre and the alternative is painful to get to....

Cheers
Nathan
Old 01-30-2008, 02:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
Since you have the seat back off, check to see is anything looks damaged. A solenoid could have been damaged and pulled out a little.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:39 AM
nmk

W164 ML 320
I visited a friendly garage with an X431 launch machine.

He reckons it brings up the following errors related to the roof control unit:

B1644 Pump temerature greater than 85 celsium degree
B1000 -002 RVC is faulty. No Internal supply voltage
B1646 -0 Code not recognised

The B1000 looks like a promising place to look, but all the fuses in the fuse boxes (front and back) are fine.

Bearing in mind B1644, I wonder if there is a thermal fuse somewhere that is malfunctioning? (it can't be at that temperature after being parked for 2 days...)

Anyone know about these codes?

Feel like I'm quoting "space corp directives"!

Nathan
Old 01-30-2008, 07:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
B1644 Pump temerature greater than 85 celsium degree.
Don't worry about it, normal.
B1646 -0 Code not recognised
Don't worry about it.

B1000 -002 RVC is faulty. No Internal supply voltage
probably need a new RVC
Old 01-31-2008, 01:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09 E350 ,
did you hit a big bump and deploy the roll bar?i have seen it a few times, if they were deployed it is spring operated and need to be reset with a long driver ,you should have the dealership do it if at all possable .thats why the top will not work at all,