Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M119 cam advance assembly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'90 500SL '07 C280 '98 E320, '19 C43
M119 cam advance assembly

I replaced the chain guides in this engine and needed to remove the cam advance assembly. When I put it back together the cam sprocket doesn't line up with the cutouts on the flange attached to the end of the cam. If I move the sprocket to line them up I will loose the timing. Are they suppose to be lined up? It looks like they engage at some point. Any help will be great...'cause I can't figure it out. If you have the MB CD it is 05-2170 that shows the cam assembly and the parts I refer to.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:02 PM

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
The outer sprocket portion that has the teeth around the outside will rotate when assembled and turned clockwise. I hope this makes sense to you. Did you use the camshaft locking pins? To insure the cams don't move when removing the chain. The adjuster is difficult to reassemble so don't knock yourself for having trouble. It's very tricky for only a few components.

It's just one of those things that can't be explained online. Good luck!
Old 02-07-2008, 04:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'90 500SL '07 C280 '98 E320, '19 C43
I did lock three of the cams but only three had the locking holes line up. The intake on the right bank was nowhere near the locking hole. Maybe 3 links out, and I'm not sure which way because the flange has more that one hole the pin could engage in.... When I test assemble the sprocket without the spring, no problem but when I put the spring back I can't get the sprocket to move in far enough to engage on the flange cutouts. So I need to make sure the right intake is set correctly and figure out how to assemble the sprocket / flange with that spring. Can you PM me your phone number...maybe if we talked I can get a better idea. Thanks for your response.