Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total MB noob... maintenance stuff

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 E300 TD
Total MB noob... maintenance stuff

I just bought a 99 W210 turbo diesel yesterday. I've been soaking up information as fast as I can and I can't get enough of it. Kinda like driving the car: can't get enough. I have extensive background in automotive tech; I moderate a few forums and I'm an auto customizer myself, which is why I didn't hesitate buying a car with 175k on it.

It came with the MB maintenance booklet, but like so many things that the factory says, they don't play out in the real world. I want to hear from real folks in the real world about maintenance intervals.

Tranny: the Carfax report showed three transmission services; one at 38k, one at 80k, and one at 137k. It of course didn't say anything about what was done, but I've heard that I need to service the tranny a lot more than what MB recommends. What's involved; fluid and filter? How often do you recommend?

Oil: There is a sticker under the hood that just says Mobil1. It doesn't recommend a weight. What do you guys use? Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil1, Delvac? How often to change? Filter recomendation?

Fuel filter; change interval?

Rear diff: change interval?

Anything else on these E300s I should watch for?

I'm currently trying to locate an MB shop manual. I can't stand Bentley, Haynes and Chilton. They try to bite off too many models in one book. Until I find one I'll need some real-world help from you guys.