Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reverse issue???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S 400 CDI
reverse issue???

question: i test drove a car (s 400 cdi) yesterday and when i put it in reverse, it did not move. i had several mercedes before this one (190e, 260se, s280) and ALL of them move (very slowly, sure) when you put them in "R". the one i test drove yesterday just stood still.

the dealer says this is normal and all of them have it (w220). not true cos i drove other similar cars (4 ltr diesel, w220) and they did move when in "r".

is this something i should worry about? thnks in advance!

btw: the cars i drove yesterday were 2003 and 2004 (the facelifted model)!!!

Last edited by Dragonchaser; 04-04-2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: addded info
Old 04-20-2008, 09:19 AM

S 400 CDI
bump! :-) sowwy!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
Any car should move when you put in reverse......otherwise you don't have reverse gear!

If you're talking about moving without touching the throttle then it may not move due to the low idle of the diesel engine and heavy vehicle.

Check it in both S and W (or C). But you must move back to N or P before switching tranmission modes, otherwise it won't change. These transmissions have 2 reverse gears.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Ausmbtech
Any car should move when you put in reverse......otherwise you don't have reverse gear!

If you're talking about moving without touching the throttle then it may not move due to the low idle of the diesel engine and heavy vehicle.

Check it in both S and W (or C). But you must move back to N or P before switching tranmission modes, otherwise it won't change. These transmissions have 2 reverse gears.
The S/W(C) setting makes sense to me. It should still pull slightly but if one car had a different setting, you could notice it.

I'm not sure about the W220 but at least on the W221, the gear ratios and the rear differential are the same for S500(550) and the diesel models. Assuming the same torque converter too, then all cars should behave the same when stationary if they have the same idle rpm (which probably is pretty much the case).

At least my car changes between S, C and M without selecting N in between, are US cars different?

Not sure if W220 would have the hill assist feature too but this should not make cars different.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:14 AM

S 400 CDI
Hi Ausmbtech thanks for your reply!

It does have reverse gear. My point was and is it does not move when you put it in reverse. Of course it did move when I pressed the throttle.

Could be but it seems unlikely to me. I guess I would have noticed if it really were that low.

Okay, thanks again!