Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antenna Not Working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 300D
Antenna Not Working

I recently attempted to install an in-dash AM/FM/CD to replace the factory in-dash AM/FM/Cassette in my 1985 300D. The power antenna was working before I started, but no longer works. I have checked all the fuses in the panel on the driver's side firewall under the hood and all are okay. Are there others?

Thanks,

ruet66
Old 04-11-2008, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
The original radio signals the antenna (through the ANT switch on the dash) to raise. Does your replacement radio have this signal switch?
Old 04-12-2008, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
whoovers got it

allmost all stero head units have an accessory antenna signal.the wiring diagram that comes with the stero defines it,it will send the signal to your antenna relay to raise/lower whenever you are using the am/fm function.you are going to have to find which wire is used on your MB for this function.hopfully you have a wiring diagram and beware of german colour coding acronyms,you have to translate to english or nothing will make sense.did you use a adapter plug to intigrate to your factory harness?or are you splicing in?
Old 04-12-2008, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by AH1W-COBRA
allmost all stero head units have an accessory antenna signal.the wiring diagram that comes with the stero defines it,it will send the signal to your antenna relay to raise/lower whenever you are using the am/fm function.you are going to have to find which wire is used on your MB for this function.hopfully you have a wiring diagram and beware of german colour coding acronyms,you have to translate to english or nothing will make sense.did you use a adapter plug to intigrate to your factory harness?or are you splicing in?
I don't remember the details (it's been a long time), but the Becker units that worked with a dash antenna switch had a different way of controlling the antenna than standard car radios. An Alpine leaves the antenna lead at 12V after the radio has switched off so the antenna is powered to retract, but the Mercedes antenna gets its power separately. The Becker antenna lead gives some kind of pulse that is meant to be modified at the antenna switch so the height can be varied, as opposed to every other power antenna that is either up or down. I wish I remember the details, but I just recall that those power antennas from the '80s had some very complicated wiring for what people thought was a simple feature. That's why they deleted the antenna switch in the late '80s. It saved a lot of money.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML500 AMG pkg
Make sure you connected the antenna wire from the radio to the blue wire on the vehicle harness, if the antenna was working before the radio installation then either it got miss wired or something is not plugged in.