Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoking problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2002 | 09:36 AM

1985 500 sec
Smoking problem

I have recently purchased a 1985 AMG 500 sec that has a smoking problem. When I start the car in the mornings it will throw a little white or grey smoke out this tells me it probably needs a valve job, thats not the problem . I let the car warm up a few minutes before driving it . After I go a mile or two of stoping and starting it will throw this horrible cloud of whitish yellow smoke out that smells real bad I believe it smells more like fuel than oil . I have been monitoring the oil level and it doesn't seem to use any. I have also run a compression test on it and it shows to have about 185 lbs on all the cylinders this seems good to me . Also when the engine is ideling in park it tends to surge up and down about 300 rpms. I am really stumped I hope someone out there can help. Also putting this problem aside the car runs great. I am looking forward to anyones thoughts on this matter.
Thanks for everyones time
Frederich
Old 12-10-2002 | 09:50 PM

2018 GLS63 AMG
sounds to me like your oil pump is feeding too much pressure into the engine. Hard to tell without looking at the car.
Old 12-11-2002 | 09:04 AM

1985 500 sec
Lightbulb smoking problem

Thanks for your reply . I did have a thought about the oil pump theory because the lower part of the oil pan that unbolts has been damaged "dented in badly" I just haven't had the chance to remove it and knock the dents out of it . I will try that next
Thanks