Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote windows operation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05' E320 (W211)
Remote windows operation

I am having a problem with my remote transmitter I think. Regular unlock, lock and trunk work just fine. However, to open the windows, I basically have to hold the transmitter up against the reciever on the door. ANything furture away than an inch will not work. At first I thought batteries, so I changed out the batteries and same result. I dont hav a second transmitter yet since I just bought the car and it only came with one. Once I get the nerve to pay for the spare key, I will do it. In any case, would anyone know why it only works 1 inch away from the door.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 234 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan
I am having a problem with my remote transmitter I think. Regular unlock, lock and trunk work just fine. However, to open the windows, I basically have to hold the transmitter up against the reciever on the door. ANything furture away than an inch will not work. At first I thought batteries, so I changed out the batteries and same result. I dont hav a second transmitter yet since I just bought the car and it only came with one. Once I get the nerve to pay for the spare key, I will do it. In any case, would anyone know why it only works 1 inch away from the door.
Probably the IR sensor on the handle, not the transmitter on the key. They go and need replacing.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:52 AM

CLK320, Honda Ruckus, pinto & BMX
i think all benz are like that.. about 1 to 3 inches away from door handle...
Old 04-30-2008, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by scottster77
i think all benz are like that.. about 1 to 3 inches away from door handle...
It should work from about six feet away. If it's down to inches it's because the IR sensor in the handle is bad.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by whoover
Probably the IR sensor on the handle, not the transmitter on the key. They go and need replacing.
Had both sides replaced in the first two years of ownership. Been fine since.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Almost a Member!

05' E320 (W211)
Is this going to be one of those, replace the whole handle kind of thing, or can I just change out the recievers?
Old 04-30-2008, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan
Is this going to be one of those, replace the whole handle kind of thing, or can I just change out the recievers?
I think the sensor is replaced separately. I just checked my 2 '06s to see how far away they'll work and discovered my S65 sensor is shot. The windows won't open and they'll close a few inches and stop if the key as right up against the sensor. It's a high-failure item.

So I'll know for sure what they replace in a bit. It's on warranty, but I probably won't take it in before my next service so you may find out sooner.