Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 500SL hardtop lockdown issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 Mercedes 500SL
1992 500SL hardtop lockdown issue

Seeking advice on a hardtop lockdown issue. Upon locking down my hardtop, the front locked down but the back didn't yet I could hear it trying to. When I push the switch to unlock the front, nothing happened. I manually unlocked the front and then pushed the hood switch again and this time it did mechanically lock down both front and back but the hood switch stayed red as if it didn't. Pushed the switch to unlock and nothing happened, pushed the switch to lock it and the rear appeared to clamp down slightly but it was already locked down. An independent Mercedes repair shop checked all the switches and said they were good and couldn't figure out why it was not register the lockdown state. After reading the manual on removal and reinstalling the hardtop, I realized I had the engine running when I pressed the hood switch. The owners manual stated that the key should be in the #2 accessory position. Could I have confused the control unit? If so, is there a reset process. My trusted Mercedes repair shop, who did not charge me for all his troubleshooting time as well as avoiding incurring parts costs if his assessment was incorrect, suggested bringing it to a dealership. I have grown to be leary of dealerships. The top is locked down but the beeping alarm that indicates otherwise is annoying while driving. ....Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you, Mercedes Diehard