Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Ticking Noise From Dash(Climate Control)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2008 | 12:26 PM

C32 AMG
Loud Ticking Noise From Dash(Climate Control)

2002 C32 W/29K Miles in SW Florida.-Problem just stared 2 days ago.

After starting the car, from either warm or cold, and with Climate Control either on or off, the car starts making a loud ticking noise from the centre of the dash just about where the climate controls are located (sounds like a plastic on plastic type of noise). This lasts for for 2or3 seconds, goes away for a few seconds, then restarts and lasts for approximately 30 seconds. Finally, it goes away completely and won't happen again until I restart the car when the same thing happens all over again.

I've done various searches on this board, and while there are several problems similar to this , none appear to be identical to this problem.

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thks
Old 05-16-2008 | 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Search on 'stepper motor'.......
Old 05-16-2008 | 03:42 PM

C32 AMG
Thks mleskovar.

Did the search you suggested and read an article that suggested one solution might be to resync the Climate Control by pressing and holding down the recir. and defrost buttons at the same time. Well, I got lucky, it did the trick, no more clicking noises. Thks again mleskovar.

I also learned that the stepper motor linkage has a defective design, and that I can look forward to it going bad in the future. At least with this board's help I will know how to fix it thanks to the great posts on the subject.