Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 SL 500 ABC SYSTEM PROBLEM......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 sl500 MB
03 SL 500 ABC SYSTEM PROBLEM......

the ABC SYSTEM of my 03 sl 500 (wich i just bought) presents the follow issue: when i start the engine in the dashboard appears the next message ABC PROBLEM VISIT THE SHOPWORk ; when i run the car, suddenly feels very hard and another message appears. VEHICLE TOO LOW STOP VEHICLE, when i do so, the car goes up a bit and the message dissapear, this happens IN the first 15 minutes and then dissapear till i get a bad road the problem comes back, someone told me that i have a block valve in the abc system of my car, but i will like to know , where this valves are LOCATED and wich one i must change, and also how many valves the abc system for this specific model (sl 500 03) has, and how they looks like, HOW is the proper way to repair this problem, the thing is that i live in EL SALVADOR and the MB WORKSHOP in my country doesn´t even know this car cause is the only one in my country, and i just don´t trust them, therefore can i fix the problem with my mechanic????? can someone tell me what exactly i have to do step by step, i will appreciate very very much for this help
THANKS FOR ANSWERING
Old 05-27-2008, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Why are you starting another thread with the same question?

The ABC suspension requires very specialized repair expertise. You might have bad valve blocks and you might have a bad pump. You were told that on the other thread. Diagnosis requires a fair amount of specific procedure. There are 48-hour leakdown tests, pressure tests and other steps. Moreover, when you do repair it you must follow scrupulously clean techniques when flushing the system because microscopic contamination will mess up the new valves.

You really need to ship your car to someone who's qualified to repair ABC. Having someone learn on your car will not end happily.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 sl500 MB
[ok you are right, but just for the record i did say that someone explained to me the information, but i was looking for more extra specific information, the another thread was titled differently , thats why i started a new one with a specific tittle, but sorry whoover , i get it......sorry evryone

Last edited by hirlemann1; 05-27-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:18 PM

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
The front valve block is located just in front of the drivers front tire. The rear is buried in the trunk under your interior panels and very dfficult to replace. They are somewhat independent of each other in there respective axle locations. If the front is dropping after an overnight stay, you will know which vave block would be responsible=the front. The left or right side can sag independent of each other as well. The problem is due to leakage past the valves that hold the static pressure in your struts. The seat of the valve can get contaminates and not seal completely. Most of the time(80-90%)the problem can be remedied be performing a system flush. This will require an SDS and about 10 quarts of Pentosin hydraulic fluid which is very expensive along with a new filter. Good luck though I don't recommend you have anything to do with trying to repair this problem yourself.

I think the ABC system sucks in the long run. See'm all the time.