Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ML350 Random Misfire Cylinder 1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
ML350 Random Misfire Cylinder 1

Hi,

I did a tune up on my ML350 about a month ago. A few days back the check engine light came on, I went and put a scanner on it and it said Random Misfire on Cylinder 1. I have a few questions about this. The plugs I used were the Bosche platinum 4 to gain some extra power and mileage and I used Beru ignition wires. When this error happened, I went to MB and they found the same problem. They are saying that the plugs are no good as they are different from what is recommended for the vehicle, the wires are no good as the "connectors" are bad and they are saying that the suppressors need to be changed. They are saying that only after this work will they begin looking into why there is a cylinder 1 misfire. I was wondering if anyone can throw some light into this situation.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Bosch Platinum +4 are K-Mart junk and not suitable for your car.

The plugs it came with are platinum, too, but much better quality.

Your plug wires did not need to be replaced.

This is the 21st century, and '57 Chevy hot rod junk is not applicable to modern Mercedes.

You did a tune down!
Old 06-18-2008, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
I've worked on a ML320 that had bosch +4's fitted and it had to be towed in because it was running so poorly. They are marginal at best when everything else is ok, as soon as something simple like a AMM fails then the can won't run with the +4's.

You need the std plugs in it, I've never seen any reason to use anything different.

As for the ignition leads, the MB ones can be individually checked and replaced only as required. I've found they almost never give trouble unless the spark plugs have gone over the normal service interval, then they fail quite quickly.

Change the plugs and swap cyl 1 ignition leads with cyl 4 and see how you go from there
Old 06-25-2008, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Solution to misfiring

Thanks for the advice. I found that the heat range for the platinum 4 and the mercedes recommended plugs is within the same range. I have also found out that when there is a cylinder misfire typically the problem is with firstly with the crank sensor if the misfiring is happening when the car gets hot or the mast air flow if it is doing it constantly.