Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Folding Mirrors Warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 320CDI Estate
Electric Folding Mirrors Warning

Thought that you might like to learn from my experience...

I have an e-class 320 CDI estate (w211) with electric folding mirrors. After just over 3 years they developed problems - the mirror controls stopped working, the LED repeaters stopped flashing and the downlight failed. The indicator failure gave a corresponding warning on the info system.

Local Dealer wanted approx £600 to replace both mirrors, as the cables had broken (presumably a stress fracture from opening and closing everyctime the car is locked).

This must be reasonably common as the service dept asked if we had the mirrors set to auto fold, and gave my wife a look that clearly meant that was a bad idea when she said we did.

Any way upshot was that I repaired the cables myself - hardest part was working out which cables should go where, - they weren't all different colours...

I soldered the broken cables and used heatshrink insulation to protect them, as there was not enough room for any connector that I could easily source (on one side there were 9 broken leads).

I no longer fold the mirrors when the car is locked....

The mirrors are very easy to replace if this ever happens to you ...

Make sure you fold the mirror first then...

remove the electrics cover on the door ( top front of door, concealed when door is closed)

remove the block connectors (1 white, 1 black for the mirror internal electics ) and another for the fold motor...

Then undo the 3 (torx?) screws that attach the mirror to the door...

Should now be able to replace with the new one... should take no more than 15 mins / side to remove / install a new one... fixing the cables and testing etc will take a bit longer!

Hope this helps someone
Old 07-16-2008, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 180 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by Gary P
Then undo the 3 (torx?) screws that attach the mirror to the door...
These screws are called Torx Plus and are 5-point rather than the normal Torx which is 6-point. Takes a special tool that's not sold to just anyone.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:00 PM

W211 320CDI Estate
I don't know about the US / Canada but mine (in the UK) has standard 6 point heads, and I was able to use one of the standard bits that came with my electric screwdriver set...

Obviously worth checking first though.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:38 PM

W211 320CDI Estate
I don't know about the US / Canada but mine (in the UK) has standard 6 point heads, and I was able to use one of the standard bits that came with my electric screwdriver set...

Obviously worth checking first though.