Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help! me and the dealer is stumed!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500 sport
Unhappy help! me and the dealer is stumed!!!!!

hey guys i have a problem that me or the dealer cant figure out.
my car is having a low speed surge and jolt(about 5mph) and i droped it off to the dealer thinking i was having the problem with coolant in the tranny like some of these cars have.
the car is a 03 e500 with 72k on it.

i took it in to have it diagnosed and it wasent showing any codes and the service tech cant seem to replicate the symptoms.

they tested the tranny fluid and passed for no coolant and every thing looked good.

so what can it be? the tech drove the car 5 times and he said it seemed fine and he was going to have a higher up tech go with him on another drive.

its stumping me and the dealer so is this just due to the cars age or what?

car has an aftermarket chrysler warranty and i have to pay for a rental and it has been there since monday but i droped it off late in the day so they dident get to it till tuesday.

i need your help guys and thanks.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
better definition of surge/jolt

is the surge forward acceleration?or a increase in rpm and then a jolt like converter unlock/lock.can you describe the symptom better?.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
If it's not coolant then the next 2 things to check are the control valve springs in the valvebody (the piston can stick or the spring can break) and the control unit. Also possible the torque convertor itself is faulty, but this would be pretty consistant.

The control unit can be swapped out of a similar car for comparison, the valvebody can be removed and inspected.

I've had one valvebody and one control unit fail on 2 E320's in the last few weeks, neither had coolant contamination (always the first check!)
Old 07-17-2008, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Curious why you're convinced this is a transmission problem.

Personally, I'd investigate crank position sensor, which is a troublesome item that doesn't set codes.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:47 AM

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
There were issues with the trans modules and their software programming. The torque converter is "locked" at low speeds using a PWM signal to prevent total lockup at low speeds and the jerkiness you decribe. The later versions use a different spec PWM signal help prevent this. It could be as simple as a flash or may need new module. This is just what comes to mind and in no way am I telling you whats wrong with your specific vehicle. Good luck!