Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

window switches

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 mercedes 560sel
window switches

hi all , ive got a 91 560 sel and recently noticed that i can move rear windows up and down from center console but from rear door switches they only go down on the passenger side and down and creep up and the drivers side any ideas where the problem lies thanks in advance craig
Old 07-24-2008, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by craigb
hi all , ive got a 91 560 sel and recently noticed that i can move rear windows up and down from center console but from rear door switches they only go down on the passenger side and down and creep up and the drivers side any ideas where the problem lies thanks in advance craig
Are you sure that it's not random from both front and rear? It's very common for the plastic rail followers to crack on the rear window regulators of the W126. If you continue to operate the window another time or two you will bend the arm, requiring the regulator to be replaced. If you catch it when it's just beginning to fail you can replace just the follower with a repair part.

You may have bad switchgear of course, but I'd be suspicious because the regulator guide was such a high-failure item. I must have replaced them three times each in the 12 years I had my 300SD.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 mercedes 560sel
funny you mention the plastic rail guide as i replaced on of them a week ago wasnt until i was acually in the back seat using the switches to adjust it into place that i noticed it wouldnt go up, and as i said in previous post both rear windows work perfectly from center console was just wondering if it was the switches themselves or maybe a bad lock out switch or ??? thanks for the reply though