Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming of 2003 sl500 keyless go Key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Programming of 2003 sl500 keyless go Key

I just ordered a new key for my 2003 SL500 which has keyless go. The parts guy told me the new key would come with the new silver trim but the key would not work my keyless go. I would still need to use my keyless go "card"

So I stopped in and pickup up the new key.. The key would not work anything in the car.. Not the doors, trunk, ignition.. Nothing..

I took it back to parts and told them it didn't work..They said maybe somthing needs to be done to program the key.. They sent me to the service department.

The service guy didn't know alot but said they need to program the keys sometimes and they can take an hour or two. He wanted me to make an appointment to bring my car back in for this and told me they would charge me an hour's labor at $130 an hour.

This seems crazy.. They should have told me that my $200 key was going to cost an additional $130 to program.. Shouldn't this be included with the key purchase??

Also I've read that key need to sync with the car sometimes.. Can I do this myself without the dealer? Just by leaving the key in the ingition?

Thanks for you help..

MP
Old 08-13-2008, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55AMG RENNTECH STAGE 6,2005 SL65 AMG RENNTECH STAGE 3
Smile

just put the key in the ignition and wait about 5 minutes and see if it turns,sometime they can take 30 seconds up to 1 hour!!! it has learn the coding,the key and the eis talk to each other!!!

mbauto