Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 400sel Rough idle problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2008 | 05:31 PM

everything and anything
93 400sel Rough idle problems

Hello all, I was hoping I could get some answers in here. I have a 93 400SEL that seems to be suffering from an aversion to moisture or rain.

Here’s the problem I’m having the car will start up fine, I will proceed to drive the car away, from five to twenty minutes into the drive depending on the weather (raining or dampness to the air). The car will start to rough idle, misfire, lose all power to the motor and shut down. I don’t get any warnings on the instrument cluster. Once the car is shut down trying to get it started is nearly impossible. I need to keep on cranking it and it does the same thing all over again. I avoided two accidents so far by trying to get over to the shoulder, but I don’t want to keep tempting fate.

I went ahead and changed all the filters again on the car, in case the mechanic I took the car in for service missed something. At first I thought maybe the car was being starved for air and this was the problem, but I’m getting the same results.

Now I’m not sure where to turn, I’m guessing it electrical that’s causing this problem, has anyone here run across any of the same? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!