Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help! oil leak? rough idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
I need help! oil leak? rough idle

So my car now seems to have a bit of a rough idle. at stop lights i can feel it kinda idling rough in a quick faint 123 pattern. Its the only way i can describe it by saying 123 123 fast and thats what it feels like if you know what i mean. Then when i jump on it some times the sifts are late or delayed almost like the feeling when you bounce off the rev limiter. It makes for a "torquey" delayed shift. Lastly the car sounds a bit different at high RPMs almost a bit whinny. any idea? I hope its nothing major.
Crank pulley has oily junk on it

Crank pulley sludge.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mitsubishi Outlander 2012 AWD
I believe your oil leak is in the front of the motor near the idler pulley. Close inspection will reveal a somewhat rhombus rectangular item held on with two bolts that when removed has a rubber gasket following its outline ,you will find the gasket extremely hard from engine heat. Replacement of that gasket(exactly like the one in the vehicle,do not accept a substitute) and heavy use of sealer know as 5900 both pieces available from local MBdealer should solve your oil leak problem. Depending on severity there is the slight possibility that all your problems are related.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by KarlBenz
I believe your oil leak is in the front of the motor near the idler pulley. Close inspection will reveal a somewhat rhombus rectangular item held on with two bolts that when removed has a rubber gasket following its outline ,you will find the gasket extremely hard from engine heat. Replacement of that gasket(exactly like the one in the vehicle,do not accept a substitute) and heavy use of sealer know as 5900 both pieces available from local MBdealer should solve your oil leak problem. Depending on severity there is the slight possibility that all your problems are related.
I'm still under warranty so i'm going to take it in. Is this a common type leak? how dangerous is this leak? engine oil level says it OK. I have an AMS crank pulley you dont think this could have caused the leak as it was not leaking for a few months after install.