Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Figuring out offset

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
... are always a good time.
Figuring out offset

Hello,

Could someone please let me now that is needed to make the SL Class, "Alphard" style wheel fit my 2003 C32.

The wheel size:
8.5J x 18ET 35
9.5J x 18ET 40

Would someone also explain offset and the use of spacers in more detail. For instance explaining how ones comes up with the proper sized spacer based on the cars requirements and the specs of a given wheel.

Feel free to use my C32 -vs- SL Series wheels as an example. I really do want to learn. I swear!

Thanks!

Miguel
Old 11-13-2008, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 E300 TD
Determining offset is pretty easy by measuring the wheel. Lay a straightedge across the back face of the wheel and measure down to the mating surface. That is backspacing. Now do the same thing on the front. You'll need a very narrow tape measure to fit through the bolt holes, unless you have a spoke-like design that lets you get to the mounting face another way. Now measure the entire width of the wheel (not the advertised wheel width since that is measured inside the lip.)

So lets say you come up with a 10" wide wheel that has 6" backspacing and 4" front spacing. That means the mounting face is 1" positive offset (or 25.4mm) Anytime the mounting face of the wheel is closer to the outside, its positive offset.

When determining what offset you need, you have a few options. Some cars have room to play around. Some folks prefer a more negative offset to fill out the wheelwells a little. If you're going to change widths and/or offsets, you'll have to either rely on someone elses trial and error, or do the trial and error yourself. Its a no brainer if you go with factory wheels that were already an option on your car. Anything else I'll defer to the MB experts who have done it already.

More in-depth info on wheel tech can be found here: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=101
Old 11-13-2008, 04:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CL500 216
Try this

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

Also this chart gives you the off set for your car,,you know the off set of the SL wheels or they are in the chart

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/inf.../mercedes-benz
Old 11-20-2008, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500 Sport, 1999 ML430 & Regal 402 Commodore
What about Alignment???

Does offset change any of the alignment specs? I'm thinking camber? My 211 originally came with 17x8 ET38's now I have 18x8.5 ET35 and 18x9.5 ET35. The car still handles good, I was just wondering?