Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

back pressure in coolant system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 01:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 CL & S600 designo Espresso's
back pressure in coolant system

I have a 1987 300SDL. I don't use the vehicle much, but I loaned it to a nephew for 6 month. Upon return, the car now idles rough, seems to loose coolant, and when you open the overflow cap the coolant bubbles back out a bit. I asked my nephew what happened and he say that one day while driving on the freeway the heater stopped working then the temperature gauge showed the car was getting hot, but then cooled down on it own. He then said one day a few weeks later the car started to overheat in traffic. He stopped and check the coolant level and it was out of coolant. I do not know how long he drove it while hot, all I know is that my once nearly smooth as silk running 300SDL now shakes like an old poor running tractor. I took the vehicle to a local Mercedes Mechanic here in town. They said that it could be anything from a head gasket, a head, a cracked cylinder wall or a cracked block. They are telling me that I should just replace the entire engine or at least put a short block in it. I asked how much a new head gasket or head would cost and they said it would not be worth it, and that if I was going to do anything I should replace the engine. While I know it could be a cracked block, but it could also be just a blown head gasket. Does anyone have any suggestions or other reliable mechanics in the area?
Thanks
Old 01-08-2003, 01:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203 & W204 3.0L 4matics & MR2 Supercharger
Wow, sounds like the head gasket is blown. Check the oil and see what color it is.

1) A heater hoes blew, No heat
2) All the coolant leaks out, engine starts to run hot.
3) After all the coolant runs out car overheat, blows head gasket.

Do a compression test that will tell you if the head gasket is blown if it is then the head has to be pulled, once you pull the head you can inspect the block.

NP