Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sigh...
Navigation questions

WHen did Mercedes switch from cd-based Nav to DVD-based nav?

If I were to buy an older car with cd-based Navigation how difficult and expensive would it be to convert it to DVD Based? Also where would I go to complete such a change.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2008, 08:20 PM

CLK 350
DVD is high-capacity

DVDs holds a lot more data that can fix on a CD-ROM. If the device you have uses CD-ROM, then you are limited to using just that type of disk to update your gps. I am not 100% certain, but I think the DVD's and CD-ROMS used are formatted in a proprietary format and therefore can not be (easily) copied. I'll let you know as I'm going to perform a copy test. The new DVD maps from MB cost more than a brand new TomTom or Garmin GPS hardware with maps and waypoints (and they work a whole lot better, too).
Old 12-07-2008, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by rmani
WHen did Mercedes switch from cd-based Nav to DVD-based nav?

If I were to buy an older car with cd-based Navigation how difficult and expensive would it be to convert it to DVD Based? Also where would I go to complete such a change.

Thanks
On most US models, DVD replaced CD nav in 2004. It is essentially impossible to swap a DVD COMAND unit and a CD COMAND because the fiber optic system was changed at the same time. The industry-standard MOST bus replaced the older proprietary D2B bus. The MOST-based electronics (like nav, phone integration and CD) are generally much improved over the D2B versions. DVD-based GPS is just one example. The navigation is much faster, has more features and integrates better with the voice operation system in models that have voice. It's the main reason to choose a 2004 over a 2003 Mercedes.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:57 PM

2008 S65 AMG, 2005 SLR McLaren
Wink

Originally Posted by whoover
On most US models, DVD replaced CD nav in 2004. It is essentially impossible to swap a DVD COMAND unit and a CD COMAND because the fiber optic system was changed at the same time. The industry-standard MOST bus replaced the older proprietary D2B bus. The MOST-based electronics (like nav, phone integration and CD) are generally much improved over the D2B versions. DVD-based GPS is just one example. The navigation is much faster, has more features and integrates better with the voice operation system in models that have voice. It's the main reason to choose a 2004 over a 2003 Mercedes.
+1...I agree!