Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Suppressor and Tune Up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Suppressor and Tune Up

Hi guys,

I have a 1997 C230 with approximately 145k miles. The car started to vibrate and shake (in the lower RPM range), and the check engine light had been on. I took it the local Mercedes dealership to get it diagnosed. They came back and told me the car needed a tune up (new spark plugs) and it needed a new Engine Suppressor. They quoted me $430 for these two items (including the 100 dollar diagnosis fee). Does anyone know how much a tune up costs on these cars, and what the engine suppressor does? In addition, are these both necessary fixes, and how much should both of these cost me (is the dealership asking for too much?). I'd appreciate any help on this.

Thanks a lot!
Old 12-29-2008, 05:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
There isn't really a "tune up" for modern vehicles as they continously adjust themselves. Spark plugs are additional to a normal service but many people don't want these additional service items done so then problems start arrising.

There are 4 supressors on your vehilce (like changing ignition leads), after replacing the spark plugs a MB tech can diagnose which are faulty and replace them individually. Spark plugs which have aged well beyond the normal service life usually damage the supressors..........changing the spark plugs on time is MUCH cheaper.

The repair is relitively basic, you can do it yourself, the diagnosis fee is reasonable for a dealer.

You could buy the parts and do it in about an hour if you're handy with tools.
With that sort of milage I would expect the engine and transmission mounts to be worn and the air mass meter (also known as AMM/MAF) may also be on it's way out (could be part of the misfire problem).
Old 12-29-2008, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ausmbtech
There isn't really a "tune up" for modern vehicles as they continously adjust themselves. Spark plugs are additional to a normal service but many people don't want these additional service items done so then problems start arrising.

There are 4 supressors on your vehilce (like changing ignition leads), after replacing the spark plugs a MB tech can diagnose which are faulty and replace them individually. Spark plugs which have aged well beyond the normal service life usually damage the supressors..........changing the spark plugs on time is MUCH cheaper.

The repair is relitively basic, you can do it yourself, the diagnosis fee is reasonable for a dealer.

You could buy the parts and do it in about an hour if you're handy with tools.
With that sort of milage I would expect the engine and transmission mounts to be worn and the air mass meter (also known as AMM/MAF) may also be on it's way out (could be part of the misfire problem).

Thank you so much, I appreciate all of your help!