Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some more minor probs with my CLK500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some more minor probs with my CLK500

The only *major* problem with my CLK500 is the motor mount issue. I have had/am having several minor problems as well.

1. Sunroof - It will open fine, but on the close it will either "catch" halfway and reopen or it will make two "thumping/loud clicking" sounds and close. Usually it will do the "catch" thing a bunch of times before it will finally close. This has happened since the 1st week I've owned the car.

2. Wipers - Amazingly loud and streak like crazy. The passenger side wiper will barley wipe. This was dangerous for me one day while driving in rain/snow. It seems the blades are too tight? IE. When I lift the wiper up, the blades will arch!

3. Clicking noise from right rear c-pillar - This is perhaps the MOST annoying problem and has happend from the day I drove it off the lot. With the radio off and windows up there is this clicking noise coming from what seems like the inside of the right rear c-pillar. The sound is almost like 2 marbles being hit together. It is most noticable around 25-45 miles per hour, but still occurs at faster speeds (sometimes louder at faster speeds). With the radio on/windows down you can't hear it because it gets drowned out. Someone told me it could be airbag brackets? I really don't know.

4. Door seals - At higher speeds (65+) there is a great deal of wind noise on the driver's side near the bottom of the a-pillar. The passenger's side is perfectly quiet. Also, while washing the car one day, some water drops actually got into the car with all the windows shut. Looks like a faulty driver's side door seal?

Thanks again and sorry the post is so long. I wanted to be thourough (did I spell that right? )
Old 01-17-2003, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
The sunroof problem sounds like something binding in the sunroof tray assembly, I'd have to hear it to be certain.

There is a tech bulletin out for the wipers, which, when broken down into plain English, amounts to nothing more than bending the wiper arm slightly.

The rattle in the C-pillar I have no clue about, I'd have to hear it.

The wind noise/water leak is most likely a misadjustment of the window, or as you said, a bad seal.