Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension/Steering squeal 94 e320?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Suspension/Steering squeal 94 e320?

I have developed a blood curdling rubber on metal squealing when ever I turn the wheel, hit the slightest bump or the weight shifts at all on my car. It is loud enough that it woke up all the dogs on the block when I turned out of the driveway this morning. It is in the driverside front and sounds like it is low rather than high but sound and vibration are kinda funky so I am not totally sure. I believe it may be the lower control arm bushings but haven't gotten it up yet to look closer. If so can they be lubed for the time being or do they just need to be replaced?
Thanks
Old 01-28-2009, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GEDaggett
I have developed a blood curdling rubber on metal squealing when ever I turn the wheel, hit the slightest bump or the weight shifts at all on my car. It is loud enough that it woke up all the dogs on the block when I turned out of the driveway this morning. It is in the driverside front and sounds like it is low rather than high but sound and vibration are kinda funky so I am not totally sure. I believe it may be the lower control arm bushings but haven't gotten it up yet to look closer. If so can they be lubed for the time being or do they just need to be replaced?
Thanks
Hard to say without hearing, but suspension/steering/chassis lubrication is supposed to be done regularly, so I would start there to see if the problem is at all lessened.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Hard to say without hearing, but suspension/steering/chassis lubrication is supposed to be done regularly, so I would start there to see if the problem is at all lessened.
So I lubed the snot out of everything under on the suspension (sway bar bushings control arm bushings spring seats and anything that looked like it might be rubber. No change at all. There is no difference. I think it is coming from either the spring, control arm bushings or anti-sway bar bushings? Any thoughts?
Old 03-29-2009, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 190e
I think I know what is causing the squealing!

Hi its John from the UK

I had exactly the same problem, a very loud shrieking and squealing noise coming from the suspension.

This happened when you turned the wheel or bounced the car up and down and it was really, really loud just like you described.

It's 100 % that its the bottom ball joint on the end of the wishbone and a pig of a job to do yourself (unless you get lucky)

I was quoted megabucks as I was told the wishbone would have to be removed (which takes hours to saw through the hardened steel pins) before the ball joint is pushed out with a hydraulic press.

A back street garage did the job by cutting out this ball joint with a gas axe for just a few pounds but if you go that route then buy yourself a replacement ball joint first (in case your guy has not got one)

You can do a temp repair by drilling a hole in the rubber gaiter and then squirting in some oil, which will instantly stop the noise and keep you rolling.

But best replace it ASAP as it could be very badly worn and you don't want the wheel coming off!

Also bet its the one that is the nearest to the kerb.

Hope this helps?