Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure gauge gone bad!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 E420 (124)
Oil pressure gauge gone bad!

Any ideas on how to fix the oil pressure gauge without having to take it somewhere and spend $300 to troubleshoot it or worst yet buy a whole new cluster (~$1,200)? I have some pretty decent electronics background to test for basic things. I am about to take it apart and see if I can find any obvious problems with the gauge like cold solder joint or damaged component. Does anyone have any ideas what to look for or what to replace?

by the way, I already replaced the sending unit a couple of days ago and checked the connecting wire between it and the gauge and it’s okay. There is also oil pressure- thank Goodness!

The gauge is the only culprit here. Unless of course the new sending unit is bad as well!
My next action is to test the resistance of the new sending unit to compare it with the system pressure to see if that checks out okay as well. Then, the ONLY thing left is to fix the Gauge.