Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove shift knob on a C Coupe???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Paprika C230K/C7/C4/C2/6spd/Chip(?)
How to remove shift knob on a C Coupe???

If anyone can provide some insight into this, I'd really appreciate it. I have a 2002 C Coupe, and I've been able to lift the boot from the center console, and I've turned the little locking collar on the shaft, but I cannot remove the shift knob itself. Is there some magic involved here? I'm starting to think that there is a screw or nut under the plastic shift pattern insert on top of the knob, but I don't want to try and remove that without knowing for sure. I don't want to scratch the plastic up. Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks,

Ed
Old 01-20-2002, 10:53 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 c230 sport coupe six spd. C7
Try lifting the shifter knob straight up. I inadvertently lifted the whole shifter off the shaft that it attaches to the transmission. I was in an "panic" to find reverse and not used to pulling up and to the left for reverse and whoa....the whole shifter ended up off the transmission! A little too much lifing force I guess.
On another day, I intentionally removed the shifter the same way in my garage not under a panic situation. There seemed to be no damage done and it hasn't occurred since. I've got about 3500 miles on the 2002 C230 six speed now and this occurred when I had about 500 miles on the vehicle. The transmission and its shifting quality has greatly improved.

2002 C230 six spd. C2 C7 Bose Paprika
Old 01-20-2002, 11:04 PM

2002 Paprika C230K/C7/C4/C2/6spd/Chip(?)
Thanks, mayday! I'll give that a shot. I never tried pulling straight up after loosening the plastic collar, DOH!

I see you have a Paprika coupe, too? How do you like the color? I love mine, and think it won't be such a common color, like black and :cough: Orion :cough:

Ed
Old 01-21-2002, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They should make Orion a special order color! I got mine and the hell with everyone else.:p