Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 C280 won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280
1994 C280 won't start

I picked my car I yesterday after having the head gasket replaced at a local shop, when I got home I turned the car off and then back on again to make that it started. But the second time I started the car a noise kept coming from the engine compartment which sounded like the starter was still turning over. Whe I put the car into drive it went away. This morning the car wouldn't start, the motor doesn't turn over, but all the lights come on in the dash. I called shop and they said it had nothing to do with the Head gasket work.
Is this true and what would cause the car not to turn over/start?
Please help..
Old 01-24-2003, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Sounds like the starter gear hung up in the flywheel and you destroyed the starter. They are correct, it has nothing to do with the head gasket job. Replace the starter and hope that the flywheel is not destroyed
Old 01-25-2003, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280
Smile

Sosh,
The car was towed back to the shop and it started right up right away. Go figure..My mechanic indicated that it might be the starter so they kept the car overnight hoping to recreate the problem. Yesterday was very cold about 5 degrees today it is 24 degrees. Today I picked up my car and the mechanic told me that the starter didn’t need replacing, that it would be a waste of money at this point, but assured me that he was okay with not replacing the starter and that the car would be OK. Everything is fine now after calming down I realized that the head gasket had nothing to do with the car not starting.
Thanks for your feedback
Garth