Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Main panel (Speed/clock) light failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2003 | 07:36 PM
VSC

1990 200D
Main panel (Speed/clock) light failure

Hi, The lamp that lights the Speed & clock indicator in my 200D - 1990 is gone out an I cannot see anything in the front panel at night.

Does any one knows how can I reach it in order to replace it? Do I have to remove the cover (I dont now the correct name) between the drivers wheel and the front window glass?

Thanks for your help,
VSC
Old 01-28-2003 | 02:26 AM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
There are two "wedge" bulbs that illuminate the instrument cluster. Are you sure that it's the bulbs and not the fuse? To change the bulbs, you have to pull the instrument cluster from the dash, which requires undoing the speedo cable from the back of the speedometer. You don't want to tug on the speedo cable since if you stretch it your speedo needle will bounce. It's pretty much a DIY job, but you just have to take your time.

1. Confirm that it's not the fuse.
2. Buy the replacement bulbs, maybe upgrade to PIAA or Raybrig whites. While you're at it, get replacements for the whole dash.
3. Remove the panel under the driver's side dash.
4. If you can reach up to the speedo cable, just undo the threaded connection. If you can't reach it, you might have to remove the a/c ducting that goes to the left side vent. It's plastic and press fit onto the ducts. Once you have the speedo cable off, try pushing the cluster from the back, it's a pressure fit.
5. Undo the cables, they're connector coded so you can't really put them back on wrong.
6. Angle the cluster past the steering wheel, replace the bulbs, and reverse procedure.