Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter change question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Oil filter change question

DIY oil change last week(W204 C300). When I changed the filter, I pushed it into the filter cap until one of the black line was covered (shown in the pic), but I didn't really pushed it very hard. But I read some posts that you need to push it or twist it hard into the cap (some says it will "clunks" into the place)to assure it is securely fastened.

I wonder is my way of changing it OK? Will the oil go bypass the filter instead of going through the filter in this case? I assume when I install the filter cap back in, the filter will be pushed by the housing and stay there securely.
Attached Thumbnails Oil filter change question-filter.jpg  
Old 04-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Almost a Member!

You did OK. The line is covered, so the filter is seated. The problem with filters not being fully seated was more prevalent on 112/113 series engines. The oil will never bypass the filter, even if it's not seated. When the filter is not properly seated, you will encounter slightly more resistance while screwing the filter in because the filter is bottoming out in the housing before the filter carrier is fully seated. If you keep screwing the filter on when this happens, you can crush or tear the filter itself.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:35 PM

C300
I see. Thanks a lot!