Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing SmartKey Code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS500
Changing SmartKey Code

Hi All,

One of my family members borrowed my 2006 CLS500 and had the wonderful experience of losing the SmartKey and her drivers license at the same time. I personally think someone pick-pocketed her, but I myself don't know the full story.

I bought a new replacement SmartKey from the dealership ($240) and got it programmed, but I'm a little paranoid someone is walking around town with a SmartKey specifically programmed to open my CLS.

Is there a way to completely change the codes stored in the car and the codes in the SmartKey keyfob? I hoping that you won't say that I need to shell out a few hundred dollars at my local dealership. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
If you take all your current keys to the dealership they can work out which "track" the missing key is and cancel it. It then won't unlock or start the car. The key blade will however manually unlock the car unless you change all the locks (pointless)

If you have a good relationship with your dealer they probably won't charge you.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by Ausmbtech
If you take all your current keys to the dealership they can work out which "track" the missing key is and cancel it. It then won't unlock or start the car. The key blade will however manually unlock the car unless you change all the locks (pointless)

If you have a good relationship with your dealer they probably won't charge you.

Thanks for the tip Ausmbtech!

Just got this done at my local dealership. The car they sold me only came with 1 key (since someone else took the other key at the dealership, and didn't put it back). I didn't feel comfortable purchasing a car with someone else out there having a key to it, so I asked them to disable the lost key and they did. The Drive Tech just wheeled out a computer, hooked it up to my car, and disabled the track for the lost key.