Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Shorting out on '03 SL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Radio Shorting out on '03 SL500

I've been having a weird issue with the radio in my '03 SL500. When I turn the car on, everything functions perfectly for about 3-5 minutes. However, at some point, without fail, all the audio goes away. The screen stays on, and all the functions seem to work (shows its playing music, switching cd's, etc.) however, there is still no audio. Pressing the power button has no effect on the problem. When this happens I do occasionally hear short bursts of static or clicking noises from the rear speaker (the long one below the rear window). Does this sound like i need to replace the whole unit? a fuse? or possibly that speaker?

Any help is greatly appreciated...
Old 06-21-2009, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 300sel,97 S500, 95 525i
Sounds like you have a fiber optic network issue. The network ring must remain locked otherwise you have no audio. Do you have a MB phone system in the car? Has the Tele-aid control unit been updated to digital or had the old one deprovisioned? If Phone system is installed, check the voice conrol unit. We have alot of problems with them. It is located in the
center of rear of center console.o remove the panel, open center console
and you will find 2 t20 torx screws in rear, remove these and center section can be removed. After that, simply unplug the serial cable from the vcm, (little black box) allow to power down for 5 min. plug back in and
cycle key. If audio comes back on, vcm will need to be replaced or better yet if it is the old v6o, v600, 0r v710 set up you may as well take it to the dealer and have the remove it, since it can no longer be upgraded. Write back and let me know if this works.