Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil thread transferred from dragoncoach SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil thread transferred from dragoncoach SL

Oil warning light came on...oil level too high!
Original post:

"Well, this was the first really long road trip for the SL. 1000 miles from SF to San Diego and back. So, we are about 5 hours into the drive and all is well. Cruising at 85 and one run to 130. The Central Valley is getting pretty warm, around 105 degrees. All of a sudden, I hear a ding and look at the display on the dash. It reads something like "oil level too high, reduce level"...what!? How do I suck out when I'm in the Central Valley and it's 100+ degrees? So I back the car off to 75 and the light goes out and I pull off for gas. Everything seems fine and we are back on the road. 45 minutes later, ding! Same warning. Back off and the light goes off. Does it one more time. Reach San Diego and was driving 3 hours without another incident. I next call RAB Motors in Marin and the totally useless service advisor says there is too much oil in the car...THEY did the last oil change! Then the advisor says the SL may have been serviced by an independent...NOT! I told them they were the only people who changed the oil! So, the SA tells me to get the oil changed in San Diego which I did this morning. Driving the 500 return miles will see it this was the problem. What irratates me is the SA tries to blame the problem on ME, bringing the car to an independent which is absurd. Essentially, THEY overfilled the oil and won't admit to any wrong doing. Sorry, had to vent."

-----------------------------------------
OVER/UNDERFILL

I calibrated my dipstick because I suspected my used C230 of burning oil. I was going to sell it ASAP if true.

1) Indy put in 8.0 qt. Normal dipstick reading. Check oil comes on soon after.
2) Dealership put in 8.5 qt, spec. Dipstick says overfil. Check light on at a reasonable interval.

The dipstick slightly overstates the oil...

3) Franchise oil changer in Los Gtos, CA tries to put in over 9 qts because the tech assumes the dashboard will tell him when to stop. He didn't even look for a dipstick. The manager makes excuses for the tech but not offer to drain the oil because he says it's OK.

I only found out because I looked at the tech and counted the empties. The work order says 8.5 qts on it as a result of the manager's entering my model number. I gave the receipt to another franchisee and they drained off some oil.

io
Old 07-05-2009, 05:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
What year C230?