Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failure to Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 CLK55
Failure to Start

OK strange, drove my 02 CLK55 to the hardware store got out did my shopping and got back in for the drive home. When I went to start it, I put the key in gave a quick flick expecting it to go hot. All it did was turn for the few seconds and then shut off, tired again with same results. I tired a couple more times but it would turn but not fire up. I figured I would let it sit for a second and walked next door to grab a snack and kill some time. When I came back it was the same. I checked the fuse box for a fuel pump fuse and found the one in back and it looked good (25a). I put it back in and went to try again. I don't remember if it was the first or second try but fired right up but the CEL came on and remained on. I quickly drove home and parked. I tried to start again and it fired right up but the light did come back on too. Any suggestions? I know I could take it in and have a code see what came up but thought I might try here first.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 07-07-2009, 07:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
Originally Posted by Zoom On
OK strange, drove my 02 CLK55 to the hardware store got out did my shopping and got back in for the drive home. When I went to start it, I put the key in gave a quick flick expecting it to go hot. All it did was turn for the few seconds and then shut off, tired again with same results. I tired a couple more times but it would turn but not fire up. I figured I would let it sit for a second and walked next door to grab a snack and kill some time. When I came back it was the same. I checked the fuse box for a fuel pump fuse and found the one in back and it looked good (25a). I put it back in and went to try again. I don't remember if it was the first or second try but fired right up but the CEL came on and remained on. I quickly drove home and parked. I tried to start again and it fired right up but the light did come back on too. Any suggestions? I know I could take it in and have a code see what came up but thought I might try here first.

Thanks,
Tom
Crank Position Sensor (CPS) look like the problem.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:33 AM

'02 CLK55
That can't be good, does it go intermittently and full failure or just fail? How hard is it to change out?
Old 07-08-2009, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
W/O bothering to pull the code, this is just a guessing game.

In my expirience, a bad CPS usually doesn't throw a code; that, with intermittent no starts when at full operating temp, is a big clue to that fault.......if it is the problem it is easy to replace.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:14 PM

'02 CLK55
No I totally understand this is arm chair diagnosis right now. Just wondering what it "might" be. On the display it does say no malfunctions but the check engine light was on. So sounds like the CPS is something that rears its ugly head before total shut down.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
Originally Posted by Zoom On
No I totally understand this is arm chair diagnosis right now. Just wondering what it "might" be. On the display it does say no malfunctions but the check engine light was on. So sounds like the CPS is something that rears its ugly head before total shut down.
CPS failure DO NOT throw out a code or CEL. You asked, we help with our experiences (as the same problems), take it or not, it's up to you. This board is mainly extend the helping hand, we are NOT trying to be an arm chair diagnostic.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:12 AM

'02 CLK55
Originally Posted by SoCal208
CPS failure DO NOT throw out a code or CEL. You asked, we help with our experiences (as the same problems), take it or not, it's up to you. This board is mainly extend the helping hand, we are NOT trying to be an arm chair diagnostic.
I think you read that wrong, I was saying I understand that without a code it is hard to say. I was just asking like you said for similar experiences or ideas as to what it might be. The great thing about forums is your never alone.