Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good deal or bad

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 420 sel
Good deal or bad

I am interested in owning a 1987 420 SEL that my friends brother has decided to sale. He has given me the option to buy the car before he lists the car for sale and he has also agreed to let me get the car running before I decide to purchase the car or otherwise he is going to sale it as is, not running. The problem is the car has not been started in a over one year but had no known problems before parked. The car has around 160,000 miles and the body is in good condition outside. He has offered the car $1000. I am not a mechanic by any means but know some basics. I began the process of draining the varnished fuel and lubing the cylinders and have had little luck getting it to run on its own. I have a good flow from the fuel pump to the engine. The engine will run with starter fluid injected, but seems to maybe have bad fuel in the injector lines and stalls after the starter fluid is burned. I am looking for info on steps to perform to know that my carb and injectors are working correctly or any feedback or links that would help me distinguish what my problems may be. I have some records of the past maintenence history but no major work has been done on the car. Records only indicate tune ups and oil changes. Not sure about the timing chain replacement, but I will ask the him. The engine seems to run smooth with a minor shake periodically. In the past I had a neighbor that had a 560 for sale in a similar situation but he decided not to sale and I was not looking for another but stumbled upon this offer. I would appreciate any experienced input of what my engine problems may consist of , and also steps needed to get the suspension and braking system usable or also what my costs may be to get the car drivable. Let me know if more info is needed to make a reply to my situation. Thanks! I hope to be able to offer some pics soon, if that would help?