Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP PLEASE - Transmitters and Radio reception not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 MB E63 AMG
HELP PLEASE - Transmitters and Radio reception not working

Situation is this: The only way I can currently lock and unlock the vehicle now is if I have the key right next to the infrared sensor on the door handle. The drivers door IR sensor works half the time and the passenger door IR sensor works 100% of the time. I replaced both batteries on the transmitters so batteries are fine. I used to be able to lock and unlock the doors from about 30 feet away and now that is not possible. At the same time I noticed that I no longer get any sort of radio reception from where I live. I'm about 40 miles west of downtown Chicago which is where the majority of the radio broadcast antennas are. Before this incident the radio worked just fine out here where I live. Now the stations only come in, and statically at that, if I'm within 10 miles from the downtown Chicago area. So what I'm thinking is that there must be some sort of RF amplifier which controls both the key transmitter range and of course radio stations signal.

A: Can anyone else confirm my theory?
B: Does anyone know what the most economical fix is? And...
C: If I need to replace this "amplifier" does anyone know of any decent yards where I can get one that is just sitting around collecting dust?

This is a 2003 CLK55

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
Old 11-24-2009, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 w203 c230 kompressor
Dude, I have almost the same problem... the difference is- my radio works , but my climate control unit stopped working completely (except for EC/REST button)... dont know where to go with this.... good luck! Let me know if you got it figured out. Somebody told me there is a rear SAM, and there is a bad connection or bad RF amplifier...
Old 11-24-2009, 03:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 MB E63 AMG
My fix was a simple fix with a blown fuse. I just can't remember if the fuse was up front or in the rear. Try checking all fuses and see what happens from there. Good luck...
Old 11-24-2009, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Originally Posted by ilyakhomich
Dude, I have almost the same problem... the difference is- my radio works , but my climate control unit stopped working completely (except for EC/REST button)... dont know where to go with this.... good luck! Let me know if you got it figured out. Somebody told me there is a rear SAM, and there is a bad connection or bad RF amplifier...
If your EC light won't turn off it means you have an AC problem and the system has shut down the compressor prevent it from being damaged.