Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parktronic alternatives?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 G 63 AMG
Question Parktronic alternatives?

For some unknown reason, MBUSA decided not to include rear Parktronic on the 2002 G500 even though the European version comes with it standard. Unless I can manage to get a replacement European bumber for my car with Parktronic, can anyone suggest any good aftermarket parking sensors that I can install?
Old 01-25-2002, 04:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Hi

I was told by my UK dealer that when they have templates so they can cut the parktronic holes into the bumper cover ..

Bosch do a reasonable afterfit device called the parkpilot - MB UK offered it on the ML's before they could have parktronic [ie pre MY2002] - its only available for the rear

Retrofitting Parktronic to a G shouldnt be *too* hard as the new cars have the holes for the switches already cut out and slightly easier fuse boxes for adding stuff. I.e you'll need some new switches a wiring loom, the sensors and a load of time. Theres various things on the car that need to be told the car has parktronic via the dealer's star diagnosis system [Xenon headlight controller needs to know for some reason] [or was it the parktronic controller needs to know if there are Xenon headlights, cant remember]

Richard

Last edited by Richard; 01-25-2002 at 04:18 AM.
Old 01-25-2002, 12:21 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
Smile

That BOSCH system is exactly the system that MB puts on European G400's and G500's! I have a call in to BOSCH USA to see if they can get me the correct wiring harness and templates for the G-class. Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-25-2002, 02:45 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
OK, a follow up to my last post. Bosch USA does have this kit available in the US including the right kit for my car...but they won't sell to end-users. It is classified as an OEM-only part and I would have to get it through MBUSA or another manufacturer to get it. I'll see if I can get it from Europe.

Anyone have any buddies at Bosch or MBUSA who could help?
Old 01-30-2010, 12:23 PM

G400 CDI
If i was you, I'd install a rear view camera instead. First of all, it's much easier to install, and a lot less expensive. Unless you really wanna install the ultrasonic aid. I have both, and to be honest I prefer to have just ultrasonic parking aid. When I watch the camera I tend to forget to watch the sides. Without the cameras i would be fully concentrated on mirrors and have Parktronic just as an additional aid. The Audi Q7's and Land Cruiser 200's/Lexus 570's have really nice park assist systems. They have sensors not only in the back but also the front. The dash display shows not only the back up camera but also the sensor data/distance. I wish Mercedes would make something like that or better.

Last edited by ochir; 01-30-2010 at 12:27 PM.