Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK320
Vibration Issues

This is my first post. I have an '01 SLK320 with 18.5k miles. Unfortunately, almost since taking delivery of the car, I have had a persistent steering vibration problem that has not been resolved by multiple wheel balancing attempts and replacement of engine mounts by the dealer. The car tracks straight, and the dealer has verified that it is properly aligned. In a January '02 post, "DrNick" provided a very interesting description of his difficulties with vibration on his E320 (see below). Is anyone aware of whether the SLK has had similar issues? As my dealer has not been able to diagnose the problem, I am trying to find out as much as possible through this forum before I go back for my next service visit.

Thanks!
Scott

=============================================
mbtech208 - vibration - shocks, bushings
I started an earlier thread re: vibration and have had some more work done this week to help solve the problem. The dealer tested the runout on my tires and said they would replace my tires. First they mounted new tires and rims from a E320 in stock. They told me the tires were even worse - out of round. Same problem with tires from a second new car. On top of that, my loaner was a 2002 E320 with 10 (ten) miles on it. Same vibration at 36mph and at various other higher speeds. The vibrations did not go away after warming up the tires.
Finally, they mounted brand new tires (Mich Energy MXV4 Plus). These were much better. I can feel a flat spot in the morning but it improves after 4 or 5 miles. Is this usual? There is, however, still a mild vibration in the frame, seats, at various speeds. Can this be a problem with the bushings in the shocks, suspension, differential, shafts? Here is a clip of a discussion forum from MB Owners Club re: same problem fixed with new bushings. You have to be a member so I have pasted 2 quotes.

QUOTES from MBCA.org
"Subject: RE: E320CDI vibration From: ed@meitner.com
Date: 25-Nov-2001
Hi John, I had a vibration at 80-90km/h on my 1997 E420. After much work ( all this was done under warranty) like changing motor mounts, steering rack, center support bearing, tires, ect. It turned out to be the upper rubber shock mounts ( changed front and rear) This completely eliminated any trace of vibration in my car. It also made the car feel as tight as new. Cheers, ED"

"Subject: E320CDI (UK) vibration: gone! From: cownley@aol.com
Date: 07-Dec-2001
To all who responded to this problem,especially those who recommended changing all the shocks and mounts: the problem has disappeared! A full set of new M-B factory-fit shocks and bushings...were fitted by the dealer, and there is now no trace of the vibration. The original focus was on wheels, tires, prop, engine mounts, all of which have been changed. You wouldn't think that shocks/bushings could be the problem, but I guess every wheel and tire has some degree of imbalance which the shocks and bushings are designed to isolate. If they are not in perfect condition, then this imbalance is transmitted to the whole car. After 33,000 miles...it feels like a different car. Thanks again to everyone who replied."

MBTech208 - what do you think? Sorry for the long post but this is one of the few successful fixes reported by happy owners who were as frustrated as I have been. I have been surfing forums for months now. Thank you for all you past and present assistance.
Best regards,
Nick

Last edited by DrNick on 01-12-2002 at 10:25 AM
Old 02-19-2003, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: Vibration Issues

Originally posted by 01SLK320
This is my first post. I have an '01 SLK320 with 18.5k miles. Unfortunately, almost since taking delivery of the car, I have had a persistent steering vibration problem that has not been resolved by multiple wheel balancing attempts and replacement of engine mounts by the dealer. The car tracks straight, and the dealer has verified that it is properly aligned. In a January '02 post, "DrNick" provided a very interesting description of his difficulties with vibration on his E320 (see below). Is anyone aware of whether the SLK has had similar issues? As my dealer has not been able to diagnose the problem, I am trying to find out as much as possible through this forum before I go back for my next service visit.
Your tires might be balanced, but out-of-round. Have they swapped the front and rear tires, provided they aren't different sizes, to see if it helped at all? Are the wheels bent? Are the tires at the correct pressures?
Old 02-19-2003, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK320
The dealer checked all tires to determine if they were out of round. They found that one of the front tires was out of round and replaced both front tires under warranty. The front and rear tire sizes are different, so I have not switched them to see if that makes a difference. I have experimented with a variety of tire pressures from 30-36 psi with little impact on the vibration. Outside of bushings, I have noticed some owners have indicated that a defective steering pump as a cause of vibration. Has this been a widespread problem? Another possible vibration source that "Dr Nick" suggested was out of balance rotors.