Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noisy purge valve

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Unhappy noisy purge valve

Good morning,
I am new to the forum and would appreciate feedback regarding the noisy purge valve on my 2009 E350. It was apparent on the day of delivery and now, with 900 miles on the odometer, it is always present and audible. Dealer says it's on all 2009's; however, MBUSA said "we don't build Mercedes cars that way".
Car goes to shop tomorrow 8/10/09. MB opened a tech case and some sort of expert is to diagnosis. Dealer holds his position.

Can anyone give me a hand and whatever info. might be known.

Thanks so much!!
Eliot
Old 08-09-2009, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
Becuase these cars are getting quieter things like the purge valve are becoming easier to hear.

Some MB's have muffler like devices in the purge line to quieten them. On vehilces I have worked on with low milage and noisy purge valves we retrofit a "muffler" from another model if one isn't already fitted. This is only once we have checked that there is no other faults suce as a loose purge line. MB won't pay for the retrofit though, it's at the customers cost or dealer goodwill.

It's "series standard" to havce some purge valve noise at times if the A/C, interior fan and radio are off.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
noisy purge valve

Ausmbtech,
Thank you so much for the help!!
Eliot
Old 08-10-2009, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by Ausmbtech
...On vehilces I have worked on with low milage and noisy purge valves we retrofit a "muffler" from another model if one isn't already fitted....
What is involved in doing this? Is there a part number for the 'muffler'? A new mounting bracket was installed on my car for the purge valve noise but it only slightly helped, didn't eliminate, the problem.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Car
So is there a real solution to this or not?

I have the purge valve ticking away, have the stepper motor linkage rattling all the time, the speaker grill in the rear deck rattling, my seats are squeaking, cracking sounds all over the cabin and now my front end suspension is starting to knock. It seriously sounds like a totally cheap broken car thats about to break anytime now LOL

(and yes, i know theres solutions to these cracking/rattling sound in the w203 sticky but ive tried and tried again to fix them but the sounds keep coming back)