Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 450SLC Hazard switch and flasher

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1978 450SLC (in-restoration)
78 450SLC Hazard switch and flasher

Hi,

I'm a soon to be (hopefully) new MB driver after spending the past several years doing a partial restoration to a 450SLC Euro model. I'm down to getting the lighting to play nice again and the turn signals won't flash but the hazard switch is buzzing like a beehive. After reviewing the schematics diagrams it appears that my model has an integrated hazard switch and (transistorized!) flasher assembly which I found another article telling me how to get into the console to extract it.

Now I'm shopping for one of these and I see on the original part an MB part number of 123 820 0005 while all I'm finding on the web are 123 820 0205 switches which appear to be physically the same except for the number of pins exposed/available. My original has 4 pins on one side and 3 on the other while these ones I'm finding offered on the web all have 5 pins on one side and 3 on the other. I'm wondering if this is the right switch and MB just changed parts and substituted this new design for the old one that I've got.

Anybody out there got a way to look up discontinued MB part codes and see if there is a replacement part that supersedes the one I've got?

Thanks
Wayne
Old 08-26-2009, 02:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
I would just call a dealer and ask them to look up the part number, might be a updated part.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1978 450SLC (in-restoration)
RE: 78 450SLC Hazard Flasher

Yea, I'll probably break down and call the dealer on that one.

I finally found via the epc.startekinfo.net site what the exploded diagrams for this car say and they spec out a 123 820 0205 in that spot so that's what I think I need. I'll call the dealer today but they use the same application to lookup parts that I do via this "epc..." site so I believe I'll get the same answer.

Thanks for the reply!
Wayne