Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350
Question Check Engine Light

My new E320 is just four days old. This morning, I connected my cell phone charger to the cigarette lighter and put my EZPass transponder in the console. When I started the car, the Check Engine light came on. I shut the car off and restarted a couple of times, but the light stayed on.

I drove the car to work with the light on and the car performed perfectly. I am going to call the dealer this morning, but I was wondering if anyone has any idea what caused the light to come on.

I have seen some mention to the gas cap or the type of gasoline, but I have not added fuel or touched the gas cap since I picked the car up.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
The dreaded CEL

Lots of things can cause a CEL and many of them are associated with smog equipment. Sometimes the CEL goes away on its own. Sometimes the dealer does nothing, resets the light, and it stays off.
If it's a serious problem the car goes into 'limp home' mode where it won't accelerate past second gear. Let us know what the dealer says. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:07 PM

SL 550
I just had my SL 320 CEL go on, and we had the cell phone charger plugged in too !!!

Also, the plug in unit seemed to get hotter than normal...

Last edited by JunoJim; 02-27-2003 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:31 AM

2013 E350
Arrow Check Engine Light

My E320 is going to the dealer on Wednesday. I'll let you know what the problem is.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:23 AM

SL 550
My dealer hooked up a diagnostic read-out, which told him everything was OK. He said sweveral things could cause it - loose gas cap, punching the accelerator (which I did), I guess anything that would give an unusual fuel / air mixture...

Their German mechanic told me to take it out and run it at over 100 mph or more for a few minutes, to blow out the buildup of too much conservative driving - LOL - we bought it used...