Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 octane

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 05:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 91 octane

Hi,

I have a question for the tech. With the gasping increase in gas prices these days, I know that I have to put in 91 octane gasoline, but I am wondering do you recommend to always stick with the "name brand" gasoline such as Chevron or Shell? Or you think it doesnt matter at all for the engine if we try to save a buck or two with Arco and sorts in times like now?? Thanks
Old 02-26-2003, 06:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
The only thing you have to stick to is the gas specs. e.g. 91 octane or so, what ever the car specs ask for. The brand does not play a roll since the gasoline producers deliver to all the gas companies in the market. The most they might do is just adding coloring agents to make it "Shell" or "Exxon" or what ever.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:57 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
The octane rating should be consistent, but I prefer to go to stations where there's good turn over on the product, you're less likely to have gas that's been sitting in that underground tank for too long, although there's some question as to how long "too long" is. I also like the new stations, since their underground tanks are probably in better condition than those filling stations that remember Fred Flinstone and Barney Rubble stopping by for new shoes. Finally, given a choice, I'm a Techron junkie so I'll pick Chevron for the sake of the fuel injectors.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:21 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because of the recent rediculous gas hike here in california, I pumped in some (Ill try to protect the name of the manufacture by not typing the last letter) Olympia* gas to save a couple bucks into my c320. Maybe its psychological, but the already slowness of the transmission shift gets even worse. I just switch back to Chevron last week And it does feel different. Its probably all just in my head