Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

before 50,000 (serpentine belt replacement under warranty?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230 2006
Cool before 50,000 (serpentine belt replacement under warranty?)

Hey guys, hoping someone could help me answer this question.
I didn't take my car into service (it didn't really need it, but i thought i'd like to take advantage of it before my 50,000 miles warranty is up).
Currently I have 46,900 miles in my car.

Just did an oil change, filter replaced (cause there was an oil leak, which leaked onto the serpentine belt), and serpentine belt replaced.

the oil change/filter replaced cost me $95 (m. benz approved, the service guy is an expert at fixing/servicing mercedes). Mind you this is not at the dealership and we did not do a traditional service A or service B maintenance.

The serpentine belt and labor cost: $130.

Total was $225.

My question is, would it have been wiser if I just took my car in for service at the dealership (there was a special offering for service A - i don't know if my car needed an A or a B, I've taken it to the dealership service twice its entire life span and I just made sure that my oil is changed every 10,000 miles). The coupon for service A was for $179.99 (if I recalled correctly), but then again because of the oil leak, they had to replace the serpentine belt, no doubt.

I just wanted to know if it would've been included, or I would've been charged extra for it at the dealership.

Can anyone shed some light here?

Thanks a lot!!
Old 10-02-2009, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
If you had had dealership service, there wouldn't have been an oil leak.

Don't really think warranty would cover results of poor service done elsewhere.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:57 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
I know the oil leak you are talking about. It comes from cheap rubber seals in the oil filter that is not from MB. Regardless of where you do service, you have to use the MB oil filter - and replace the seals correctly (easy enough). I used STP brand because of convenience and twice the seals went bad after 5k miles.

But why did you change the belt? Does motor oil corrode the belt? I would think the natural weather elements (wind/moisture) are worse than motor oil...

Last edited by MercFiveHundred; 10-02-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09 E350 ,
belt is only covered under 12/12 ,not warranty ,wear and tear item .