Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C43 Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C43 AMG
C43 Transmission Problem

I've been having some transmission issues lately:

1) Today when I was accelerating hard in first gear my tranny wouldn't shift into second gear once redline is reached. Instead, the car seemed to have shifted in neutral and my engine just revs freely without acceleration. This happened a few times, until I had to stop and restart to car and that seemed to have rectified the problem. I tested the car again and the problem did resurface.

2) This other issue is more reoccuring. After I release the throttle after hard acceleration, the car would downshift very quickly down successful gears and the car jerks hard with each downshift.

The issues are quite a concern. By the way, the car hasn't been serviced in a while since I haven't driven the car that much and FSS hasn't called for service yet. Do you think I should make a premature visit to the dealer?

Anyway, insights appreciated.

Thanks,
Baron
Old 03-01-2003, 02:46 PM

1998 C43
I seem to have a similar type problem like #2. If you car isnt shifting under hard acceleration, then you probably have a tranny problem. I am not too sure if the downshifting is a problem, but it's kinda annoying. I dont remember if my car did it in the past.

I'd say take it in for a look. Maybe a local mechanic who knows about MB's. They will not charge much for a consult.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:58 AM

CLK320, ML320, 300TE
same problem as you

I have the exact same problem...only it happens in 3rd to fourth gear. Cant get past 3rd gear. What did you do to fix it? They wanna charge me over 1500 to fix it.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:35 PM

AMG C43, 1999
Change out the ATF fluid to Mobil 1 syn ATF and see if that does not clean up some of the problems.

On my C280 sport that was driven very hard I would have some of these problems untill I went to a 3000-4000 mile ATF change interval. But I only changed out the ATF fluid in the pan, about 3-4 qts.

Takes about 10 mins.

Jeff