Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key not starting engine

Old 10-25-2009, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Key not starting engine

My key suddenly stopped working. Here is the description:

The key can open the doors and the trunk but does not start the engine. Battery is not the issue.

However, the spare key saved me by working just fine. At the dealership, after several tests, I was told that the computer does not recognize the key. That key was replaced and reprogrammed.

After a few months, the same issue has happened again. I am down to using the spare key. The faulty key is to be replaced again.

Wonder if anyone else had seen this issue and what the remedy was. The vehicle is a 2008 C300. Is this a known issue with these models?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Keys are sensitive to being thrown around......

Make certain the old keys are cancelled. On older models you can only have 8 keys out at any one time.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:18 PM

2008 C300 Sport
I have the same problem with 2008 C300

I live in Nassau, Bahamas and have the same problem with my 2008 C300.This problem just happened on Saturday past, July 30th 2011. it occurred very suddenly. I parked the car, got out locked it, then decided i needed to reverse a bit more, unlocked it went inside, attempted to start the car, the key turns but the car does absolutely nothing, no instrument cluster light comes on! Went home got second key, tried it and same thing. Spoke to my mechanic and he said he believe's its the SAM. I bought the car from the MB dealer in Florida, used with 42,000 miles. i had the car for 6 months and only put 1,888 miles on it. Mechanic said he has seen some other C300 with same problem recently....Tuesday he will look at the car and let me know exactly the problem....

Last edited by dodgern; 08-01-2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: modify font
Old 08-01-2011, 12:21 PM

2008 C300 Sport
yes, i live in Nassau, Bahamas and just had the same problem with my 2008 C300 on Saturday, July 30th 2011. happened very suddenly, parked that car, went back in to reverse it and it did not start. tried second key, same thing. Had car towed home. Mechanic suspects issue is the SAM. will take car to him on Tuesday coming for further troubleshooting...